Written bytherapist.com team
Last updated: 09/06/2023
Suicide prevention, depression support, and crisis support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline*: 988 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255) | Available 24/7
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 | Available 24/7
- Veterans Crisis Line: Call 988 and press 1, or text 838255 | Available 24/7
Sexual assault, abuse, and domestic violence
- Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-422-4453 | Available 24/7
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or text START to 88788; TTY 1-800-787-3224 | Available 24/7
- National Runaway Safeline: 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) | Available 24/7
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) | Available 24/7
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357); TTY 1-800-487-4889 | Available 24/7
- Alcoholics Anonymous: 1-800-839-1686 | Available 24/7
- LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564 | Available Mon through Fri, 1 to 9 p.m. PT; Sat, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. PT
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860 | Available 24/7
- Trevor Project: Call 1-866-488-7386 or text START to 678-678 | Available 24/7
- Eldercare Locator: 1-800-677-1116 | Available Mon through Fri, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
- National Alliance for Eating Disorders Helpline: 1-866-662-1235 | Available Mon through Fri, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: Call or text 1-800-985-5990 | Available 24/7
*In 2022, the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline replaced the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Learn more about this transition.
About the author
The editorial team at therapist.com works with the world’s leading clinical experts to bring you accessible, insightful information about mental health topics and trends.
Therapy can be pricey, especially if you don’t have insurance. Try these free...
For many people, working with a therapist is the first step toward better...
Apps can’t replace professional therapy, but they can offer extra support for...
Taking care of your mental health is a lifelong journey. Learn what strong...